Thursday 18 September 2014

The story so far...

Mathematical Expression & Reasoning for Computer Science


The course so far has been both highly interesting and made quite easy to follow. While it isn't as easy as I expected, it definitely is fun to learn. Prof. Larry's slides (and memes) are extremely helpful and have greatly improved my understanding of the course. The examples provided and the exercises we do in class  are really useful. I especially love the fact that while the subject is "mathematical" expression, we still learn the concept in terms of everyday English which then translates to Math.

I have observed from personal experience that going through the notes/slides before and after the lecture is extremely beneficial. Not only does it first prepare us for what we'll be learning in the following lecture, but reading them after makes it easier to understand where we went wrong, or what we did understand perfectly.

Having taken Math in high school, the introduction to the use of quantifiers, sets and Venn diagrams in Lecture #2 was comforting. MAT137 and CSC165 seem to be have started off with the same basics which makes it so much more easier to follow. While I do still get confused sometimes, I hope to solve my problems with more practice and probably more study sessions with my friends. 
Study sessions with classmates is something I personally recommend as it proved very fruitful. It is much easier to understand a concept when there can be a discussion on a particular question and the doubts can be asked back and forth and even cleared promptly. 

All in all, good course, cool lectures. I'm one step away from confusion.
So far, so good :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment